Monday, August 31, 2009

Alice's Tea Cup, New York, NY




After a productive morning of jogging, buying textbooks, running errands and setting up the apartment a bit more, I decided to treat myself to some untried scones. I had heard very good things about the three Alice locations in the city, but have never visited. I did not sit down, so I cannot write a full review, but I did get scones and can tell you how wonderful they were!

Taking the Q to 42nd St, and transferring onto the 2 up to 72nd, I exited into the Uptown air and quickly found my way traveling down 73rd St. The storefront is extremely cute and the clerks inside were so welcoming and kind. I picked out a pumpkin scone and an unsweetened buttermilk scone. There were a couple of other varieties, and other sweets on display, including an elaborate and delicious looking carrot cake. I also received tiny to-go containers of clotted cream and raspberry preserves which was a delight.

Upon returning home, I boiled myself a pot of Serendipitea's loose Coco-Loco tisane and slathered the cream and preserve onto my pumpkin scone. The tea is a favorite of mine (tisane, so not exactly a tea, but naturally caffeine free and very delicious), and paired with the scone worked excellently.

The scone was sweet and pumpkiny, but not overly sweet. The clotted cream and raspberry preserves were divine. The texture on the scone was nice and crumbly, and the scone was shaped properly and baked just right. The pumpkin glaze was also a definite plus. I took a nibble at the buttermilk scone and it tasted very adequate, but very good nonetheless.

I look forward to enjoying more scones from Alice's. I hope to take tea there soon and report on it afterwards.

Thanks for checking in!

-Ethan

3 comments:

  1. Glad I stumbled upon your blog Ethan. Here I am in NJ, and I didn't know about the two places you mentioned. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen a lot of articles about Alice's and appreciate your comments - you have a nice blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete